collapse

Author Topic: MSD - Motorized solder dispenser (Work in progress)  (Read 1128 times)

James

• (Yahmez)
MSD - Motorized solder dispenser (Work in progress)
« on: September 01, 2019, 07:45:19 PM »

Current state of the MSD

The Motorized solder dispenser

They say necessity is the mother of invention. I can't say that this is an example of that, but it's 'extreme feature creep' at least.   ;D I have an RGB LED kit I hope to assemble that has a LOT of surface mount parts to solder. I plan to hand solder everything, one component value at a time, with some very small diameter solder. I was thinking about trying to hold the almost limp solder and not buggering everything up in the process. Then as I pondered that problem, I thought a little hand held solder dispenser must surely exist already, but a lot of googling told me otherwise. Well a new project was born then and there, I found a little right angle geared motor made for those 3D pens on eBay and drew up a concept. At that point I was thinking of making a 3D printed housing for it.

Original concept drawing

Then, like most projects, I sat on it for a while.  ::) Haha In all honesty I have not had any tinker time in a while... till today that is.

First, a little backstory. When I was a little kid, I loved to draw. But when people asked me what I liked to draw I thought it was a silly question because the drawing always chose me. I know it sounds crazy, but many times I would just lay down random lines and shapes, not looking much, until a picture came into view in my minds eye. Then I just finished it. Many times when I build things, I still trend towards this path. I like to have a bunch of parts and bits and odds and ends around to mix and match as it comes together. After sizing up these protoboards and brass hex spacers with the motor & a copper tube, the 'picture came into focus'. I used a small round file to notch out the hex spacers & allow the small copper tube to both be in the correct alignment with the motor's drive gear and secured to the frame.

Before soldering the copper tube

After soldering the copper tube

Checking copper tube alignment with the drive gear

So, here we are. Still need to figure out the rest of the details, and there are a few. Motor control, battery type, 3D printed solder diameter adapters, solder spool holder (made of wire maybe?), and a few other odds & ends.

Update: Sept 9, 2019

Not a lot of progress, but not a lot of tinker time.
I'll take what I can get.

Current state of the MSD

Current state of the MSD
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:44:36 PM by James »

Gareth

• Global Moderator
Re: MSD - Motorized solder dispenser (Work in progress)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 05:18:40 AM »
Looks a solid Build... "Steam-punk" possibilities , <ΓΌ> i need one ...... maybe reversible with solder-paste dispenser the other side....

arclite7

• a
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 04:17:21 AM »
Have you thought about using a 3D printer to create an smd component placing machine? Because the appropriate saving is in a DIY reflow oven soldering everything in one go if youve placed each part onto a solder masked solder pasted circuit board?

A solder mask is created again with a 3D printer gcode and a Laser head that etches the holes into the solder mask. Initially a silk screen squeegie applies the paste through the mask and the mask thickness of OHT film is enough to leave the right amount of solder paste. Later the paste can be deposited again by 3D printer head modded to deliver smd solder pads directly from a gcode file to correspond with the following:
A component placement head is fed from rolls of components as supplied from the likes of Digikey and Mouser.
It is unlikely at present to find a universal component placement head. It is probable a different head will be needed for each component because of different dimensions?

My thoughts are that a Makerspace could work with users to build each of these machines. They are all based on the Prusa i3 (or similar - Nema17/23) so that these machines can be made from a standard open source pattern. Theoretically to support a distributed manufacturing process. For such an existing network of, for example, x2 Makerspace units could demonstrate in principle. Also to provide the structure for a central server, a Raspberry Pi 4b, to then operate to take submissions for unit distribution (electronic distribution of source files as single archive for scripted processing at each end point/destination Makerspace. Processing results in feedback of process success - including delivery to intended recipient(s) perhaps by bicycle courier as a green distribution ideology) and production "on demand" from an associated "Circuit Store". By advertising the store and the available finished circuits, even with printed housings and documentation "Proudly manufactured in Texas", this is intended to help partially finance adopting Makerspace units to support us and the next generation of Makers with bright ideas! I mean we do not necessarily need $100,000 to mass produce and bring to market our designs through behemoths like Woolworth and Maplin stores? (Maplin chosen after consideration)

Yes there is a lot more real work to do but I hope this triggers some ideas about how you want to solder your SMD components based on what is being adopted at present? I bought a $15 IR twin silica glass tube based thermistor controlled tabletop oven. With insulation and ventilation to protect an Arduino, LCD screen complete with nav' buttons, an opto-isolation mains controller, a few resistors and a couple of caps. All mounted on perf board. All with a sketch to ramp and soak your circuit board(s) at a precise target temp using a K-type thermocouple is freely available with various DIY reflow oven projects. The Arduino IDE is available for Windows and Linux for free. Linux is available for free. Design software on Linux is all available for free. Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:07:02 AM by arclite7 »

James

• (Yahmez)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 08:45:29 PM »
@Gareth, thanks bud.

@Arclite7, welcome to RobotRebels! Wow, I have to say, brilliant idea. Really, it's very thought provoking. On the other hand, for the circuit I am building this tool for, it's a one of. In the time I programmed this hypothetical machine, I could have soldered it myself... That being said, love the idea. It would be a very big project to undertake, something that would require quite a bit of talent and work. Is this a project that you are currently working on or just an idea you have been pondering?

* Search

* Recent Topics

Discord anyone? by tinhead
[October 20, 2019, 05:35:59 AM]

The unnamed (yet) quatruped spider project by tinhead
[October 20, 2019, 05:28:14 AM]

2D Side Scroller Cyberpunk themed by Killer Angel
[October 17, 2019, 09:44:06 AM]

MKS Gen L 1.0 by lllloydo
[October 06, 2019, 01:24:26 AM]

MKS Gen L 6 axis robot arm by Musa
[October 02, 2019, 03:07:08 PM]