collapse

Author Topic: Boilerplate PocketSphinx C code to capture microphone input on Raspberry Pi  (Read 5524 times)

vladtech

• v
Hello I was wondering if someone can help me with a simple Boilerplate PocketSphinx C code to capture microphone input on Raspberry Pi, with comments please. I am still very new to programming, and still new to C. I was about to find a Boilerplate PocketSphinx C++ code to capture microphone input on Raspberry Pi:   http://www.robotrebels.org/index.php?topic=239.msg1234#msg1234, but not just plain C. Thank you.

MEgg

1st project: Dagu 5 Rover + Dagu - 4 Channel DC Motor + Red Back Spider robot controller + Raspberry B+
Chassis + wheels: https://picload.org/image/dggroior/20150831_028.jpg
current: https://www.keepandshare.com/userpics/m/a/r/k/usegg/2016-04/sb/img_3480-79682018.jpg

vladtech

• v
So in other words, it will compile the C++ code into C code?

MEgg

So in other words, it will compile the C++ code into C code?

Yep, but to be honest: learn C++, that's better.
It's not that far away.
1st project: Dagu 5 Rover + Dagu - 4 Channel DC Motor + Red Back Spider robot controller + Raspberry B+
Chassis + wheels: https://picload.org/image/dggroior/20150831_028.jpg
current: https://www.keepandshare.com/userpics/m/a/r/k/usegg/2016-04/sb/img_3480-79682018.jpg

vladtech

• v
For now I would like to stick with C, the link you send me, I do not see any download link, and also I would like the code to be written in C, not converted to see. I am not sure how the comments would be changed. Still very new to all of this. Thank you for the suggestion

bdk6

I suspect that if you use cfront you will find the resulting c code to be unreadable.  I don't agree that it is a small step to c++, but I do recommend learning it.  And this looks like a great way to do that.

vladtech

• v
That is what I am afraid of, of the code being unreadable. But for the moment I do still want to stick with C for now, I have other modules in C and last thing I want to is change programming languages. Thank you for your input

bdk6

One of the nice things about C++ is that C is (almost) a proper subset.  C++ is extended from C and the two mix rather well.  You can easily mix the two.  Many, many, many programs over the years have been converted to C++ one piece at a time.  This is probably the best opportunity you could find to learn C++.  You can start off easy, learning with a real project as you go.

vladtech

• v
Thank you again for your input, but I will still like to stick with C.

bdk6

Well, good luck.

vladtech

• v
Thanks to some direction from Ralph, I was able to change his code and make it to just C. Here is the code:

Code: [Select]
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <pocketsphinx.h>
#include <sphinxbase/ad.h>
#include <sphinxbase/err.h>

const char * recognize_from_microphone();

ps_decoder_t *ps;                  // create pocketsphinx decoder structure
cmd_ln_t *config;                  // create configuration structure
ad_rec_t *ad;                      // create audio recording structure - for use with ALSA functions

int16 adbuf[4096];                 // buffer array to hold audio data
uint8 utt_started, in_speech;      // flags for tracking active speech - has speech started? - is speech currently happening?
int32 k;                           // holds the number of frames in the audio buffer
char const *hyp;                   // pointer to "hypothesis" (best guess at the decoded result)
char const *decoded_speech;

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {

config = cmd_ln_init(NULL, ps_args(), TRUE,                   // Load the configuration structure - ps_args() passes the default values
    "-hmm", "/usr/local/share/pocketsphinx/model/en-us/en-us",  // path to the standard english language model
    "-lm", "custom.lm",                                         // custom language model (file must be present)
    "-dict", "custom.dic",                                      // custom dictionary (file must be present)
    "-logfn", "/dev/null",                                      // suppress log info from being sent to screen
     NULL);

ps = ps_init(config);                                                        // initialize the pocketsphinx decoder
  ad = ad_open_dev("sysdefault", (int) cmd_ln_float32_r(config, "-samprate")); // open default microphone at default samplerate

while(1){                                                                   
    decoded_speech = recognize_from_microphone();            // call the function to capture and decode speech           
    printf("You Said: %s\n", decoded_speech); // send decoded speech to screen

}

ad_close(ad);                                                    // close the microphone
}

const char * recognize_from_microphone(){

ad_start_rec(ad);                                // start recording
    ps_start_utt(ps);                                // mark the start of the utterance
    utt_started = FALSE;                             // clear the utt_started flag

while(1) {                                       
        k = ad_read(ad, adbuf, 4096);                // capture the number of frames in the audio buffer
        ps_process_raw(ps, adbuf, k, FALSE, FALSE);  // send the audio buffer to the pocketsphinx decoder

in_speech = ps_get_in_speech(ps);            // test to see if speech is being detected

if (in_speech && !utt_started) {             // if speech has started and utt_started flag is false                           
            utt_started = TRUE;                      // then set the flag
        }

if (!in_speech && utt_started) {             // if speech has ended and the utt_started flag is true
            ps_end_utt(ps);                          // then mark the end of the utterance
            ad_stop_rec(ad);                         // stop recording
            hyp = ps_get_hyp(ps, NULL );             // query pocketsphinx for "hypothesis" of decoded statement
            return hyp;                              // the function returns the hypothesis
            break;                                   // exit the while loop and return to main
        }
    }

}

* Search

* Recent Topics

2D Side Scroller Cyberpunk themed by Killer Angel
[November 12, 2019, 07:56:15 AM]

The unnamed (yet) quatruped spider project by tinhead
[November 09, 2019, 05:58:16 AM]

Ebot SL by erco
[October 31, 2019, 04:27:36 PM]

Discord anyone? by tinhead