collapse

Welcome!

Welcome to Robot Rebels, an online robot maker community.

Register today to post your projects, ask questions, share knowledge and meet like-minded people from around the world.

The RobotRebel.org Community

Author Topic: moglusa, a repstrap build  (Read 2332 times)

mogul

• Hot glue gunslinger
  • This is a good day!
moglusa, a repstrap build
« on: September 20, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »
moglusa-main.jpg
*moglusa-main.jpg (37.66 kB . 500x375 - viewed 449 times)

For a long time I have had this urge to build a 3D printer. Not because I want or need a 3D printer, but simply because of the build it self.

As always, cheapness is important to me, money is, like blood, a limited resource. I have used a lot of recycled parts for this. Mainly parts salvaged from ink printers. Did you know that almost every cheap printer that get trashed when the initial ink cartridge is empty, contains one or two smooth rods, usually M8, and if the printer had a built in scanner it is likely to have a stepper motor or two too. Let me show you:

moglusa-raw-input.jpg
*moglusa-raw-input.jpg (46.07 kB . 500x375 - viewed 436 times)

and after "filtering":

moglusa-filtered-input.jpg
*moglusa-filtered-input.jpg (35.25 kB . 500x375 - viewed 416 times)

I have been collecting parts from computer hardware for years, also back when the 5.25" floppy drive went out of business, apparently I have had at least 12 of those passing through my hands, they all gave be a small NEMA17 stepper.

This it my third attempt on building a 3D printer, and this time I went down the simplest and most well proven path I could find. I made something like a cross between a printrbot and a prusa machine. Probably inspired by many other builds as well. Please leave a note if I accidentally have omitted an obvious source.

Well, enough chat, lets have a look at the build. It is a typical Cartesian machine, print head moves on a boom on the X axis, table moves on the Y axis, and Z axis lifts and lowers the boom.

X ais:

moglusa-X-backside.jpg
*moglusa-X-backside.jpg (20.51 kB . 500x159 - viewed 361 times)

Motor is behind the piece of wood on the right side of the picture above. as you see I only have the tooth belt going half the way, the other half is some braided fishing line and in the loop you also see a spring. Springs are good for keeping the belt tight, but of course they need to be strong, otherwise you will get some sloop in the movement. the fishing line is convenient to use because of the small pulley I use on the left side. got 100 meter cheap fishing line on ebay for a dollar, and I think I won an auction getting 10 pulleys for a dollar and a half. The spring is probably salvaged from one og the printers I mentioned in the beginning. the piece of wood in the middle is the carriage holding the hotend on the other side. Lets zoom a little:

moglusa-X-backside-zoom.jpg
*moglusa-X-backside-zoom.jpg (36.03 kB . 500x375 - viewed 371 times)

As you see it uses 3 LM8UU bearing to ride on the two horizontal rods. The lower two are kept in place with zip ties, holding them against the back plate and a small extra piece of wood above them, effectively keep them aligned - They wont move! The third one only holds the piece vertical, it is allowed to move a little up and down, the black string that goes around it is quite soft and flexible. This allows the whole thing to moove quite smooth even if the two rods should not be super perfectly aligned to each other. The lower one is in control, the upper one is only steering!  This is a central idea in this build, make it runs smooth even if some measures are only eyeballed in. Ah yes, also you see a small magnet in the upper bearing, it is used for the X axis endstop.

Here is the front side of the hotend carriage:

moglusa-X-frontside-zoom.jpg
*moglusa-X-frontside-zoom.jpg (41.25 kB . 500x375 - viewed 391 times)

It's a cheap E3D clone found on aliexpress, think 6 dollar or so. But here things get different. I have made a water cooling jacket around the heat sink. I did this for two reasons; to make a silent cooling and to make 100% sure not the have the melting zone creep up to ruin the print. Water cooling is a super efficient way to keep the hotend cold where it should not be hot.

Y axis:

Y axis is the whole print bed moving, again it rides on two M8 smooth rods, using three LM8UU bearings. As with the the X carriage I choose only to use 3 bearings. two riding on one rod and the third on the other. The first two are hot glued on the carriage and the third is only held in place with a piece of foamy tape and a zip tie.

moglusa-Y-motor.jpg
*moglusa-Y-motor.jpg (44.63 kB . 500x475 - viewed 379 times)

The carriage it self is made of icecream sticks hot glued together. It consists of two sections held together with spring loaded adjustment screws. On top of it is a glass shelf from an old IKEA CD cabinet, again held in place with some double adhesive foam tape. As with the X axis the belt below only goes half the way around and a spring and fishing line makes the other half.

Here is a photo of the carriage before everything were put together:

moglusa-Y-carriage.jpg
*moglusa-Y-carriage.jpg (44.31 kB . 500x381 - viewed 379 times)

Z axis:

Z is made with two free standing towers, M8 smooth rod again, and a motor aht the base of each tower. Motors drive a piece of M5 threaded rod.

moglusa-Z-motor1.jpg
*moglusa-Z-motor1.jpg (36.34 kB . 321x500 - viewed 368 times)

The M5 threaded rod, driven by the motor goes through a M5 nut that is mounted to the ends of the X-axis boom it lifts.

moglusa-Z-motor2.jpg
*moglusa-Z-motor2.jpg (33.57 kB . 500x472 - viewed 361 times)

The closeup above shows a nut encased in a glob of polymorph on a small piece of wood that is then bolted underneath one of the boom ends.

Z towers are two free standing M8 smooth rods. They are simply hammered into two holes I drilled in the base box. They are almost vertical, but a small miss alignment might persist.

moglusa-Z-towers.jpg
*moglusa-Z-towers.jpg (39.67 kB . 500x322 - viewed 407 times)

To compensate from this eventual miss alignment I have simply zip tied the bearings riding on the towers to the X-axis boom. Zip ties allow a little play, but then everything is run in, they seem to hold thins in the natural center position making towers pretty well aligned. No Z axis I chose to actually use 4 bearings. this is because of the two Z axis motors alow me to adjust the boom in to being perfectly horizontal.

Extruder:

The extruder is a motor and gears that pushes a string of filament into a Bowden tube. Again, motor and gears are something I have salvaged, but I'm not sure from what. I tend to keep motors and the gears they are connectord to in one piece when I take hardware apart. sometimes it makes for a shortcut then building the project.

moglusa-extruder.jpg
*moglusa-extruder.jpg (38.99 kB . 500x375 - viewed 384 times)

The output gear drives a bolt in which I have made a groove and cut some perpendicularly threads

moglusa-extruder-zoom.jpg
*moglusa-extruder-zoom.jpg (36.14 kB . 500x375 - viewed 385 times)

to cut the threads in the bolt I made a small rig spinning a threading bit on the bolt for approx 30 minutes:

moglusa-extruder-bolt.jpg
*moglusa-extruder-bolt.jpg (38.37 kB . 500x330 - viewed 378 times)

Cooling:

To prevent heatcreap from the heating block and nozzle to the feed end of the hotend assembly, the E3D hotend comes with a heatsink. This heatsink I have encased in a water cooling jacket and then pass cooling water over it.

moglusa-hotend.jpg
*moglusa-hotend.jpg (32.95 kB . 500x405 - viewed 380 times)

This requires a small water pump and since I already had it, I also added a radiator to the loop:

moglusa-cooling.jpg
*moglusa-cooling.jpg (36.82 kB . 500x381 - viewed 373 times)

A small submersible pump, running of 4V DC makes plenty flow to keep the cold end of the hotend assembly way below any dangerous temperatures.

Electronics:

The most "normal" about this build is the electronics and the software. I have chosen a redular RAMPS-1.4 board, stepsticks and an Arduino Mega board. Cheap ebay clones of course.

moglusa-electronics.jpg
*moglusa-electronics.jpg (45.19 kB . 500x275 - viewed 416 times)

The controller run Marlin-1.0.2 and configuration is quite close to default.

Performance:

Being my first 3D printer I have a lot to learn then it comes to getting it to make decent prints. Firmware, slicer and output software all got a plethora of options which are highly dependent of each other. Being on Linux I have opted for the two packages slic3r and printrun. I have still not printed anything of my own design but only parts I have downloaded of the internet.

I had some issues with layer splitting which it seems I have nailed now. Bridging is still troublesome. And I have yet to see it make larger prints too.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:08:11 AM by mogul »

craighissett

• c
Re: moglusa, a repstrap build
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »
Such a great build, especially seeing the amount of scavenging involved.
If you ever find yourself wanting to build another printer you neither want or need I am sure I could give it a home ha ha!

mogul

• Hot glue gunslinger
  • This is a good day!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 03:58:03 AM »
Such a great build, especially seeing the amount of scavenging involved.
If you ever find yourself wanting to build another printer you neither want or need I am sure I could give it a home ha ha!
Thanks.

Actually I am slowly playing my way through the next build. will be a real reprap build, involving printed parts.
But it has come to a minor stop, I need good weather to go outside to go through the next batch of ink printers to salvage parts from. It is a quite messy task, I usually end up very multicolored.

moglusa isn't very portable, if at all. Wires dangling all over and motor part of extruder is a separate "unit" too So is the water cooling system. Perhaps my 3rd build should focus on making a "practical" printer.

cevinius

• www.cevinius.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 07:13:28 AM »
Thank you for posting this, mogul. Beautiful machine.

* Search

* Recent Topics

MKS Gen L 1.0 by jimmyeao
[Today at 12:15:32 PM]

Animabot Rev3 - Advanced Hexapod Robot by Nemesis
[January 17, 2019, 09:34:32 AM]

PLX-DAQ by BaldwinK
[January 16, 2019, 06:44:18 AM]

Four Motor Leg Module by BaldwinK
[January 09, 2019, 04:55:14 PM]

Android Adware by Diegotorry
[January 08, 2019, 05:34:48 AM]