collapse

Welcome!

Welcome to Robot Rebels, an online robot maker community.

Register today to post your projects, ask questions, share knowledge and meet like-minded people from around the world.

The RobotRebel.org Community

Author Topic: "Artie" version 3.0 (RTV3)  (Read 1674 times)

lukeyes2

"Artie" version 3.0 (RTV3)
« on: January 03, 2017, 03:44:04 PM »
Hey everyone,

Decided to start a new thread to see if a photo will show up like other robots.  I've been dividing my robot time between Artie and Annabelle.  My last major accomplishment was the creation of my "party panels".  These are panels that are made for public appearance/party purposes.  As such, they don't have any sensors, but rather a loud speaker and some flashing lights.

I used the Party Panel configuration for a 5K back in September.  Unfortunately, my Atmega lost communication with my XBox controller right as the race started, so I had to push him the whole 5 kilometers, but at least he was pumping out some superhero-themed tunes for the runners.

Also, when I was driving him on the grass (there was a bunch of vendors in a grassy area before the race), the wood sections of his neck snapped from the shock.  I was able to remove his neck and attach the head directly to the body, giving him more of an "R2D2" look.

My next task on RT was to redesign his non-movable neck with steel threaded rods that will give more strength, but I just got an old chassis that I donated to a group in town back (they were going to throw it out!), so my next task is to upgrade the motor platform.  Stay tuned for more build notes from the upgrade!

deshipu

• Radomir Dopieralski
    • Homepage
Re: "Artie" version 3.0 (RTV3)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 05:13:55 PM »
I'm always full of admiration and awe at the large robots. Personally I had so many problems with the strength of materials, strength of motors, weight of batteries, etc. even with medium-sized robots, that I gave up and decided to focus on the desktop-sized projects. But there is always something special in a robot that you don't have to watch out not to step on.

lukeyes2

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »
Finished my redesign of the neck with stabilizing rods.  It's not my end goal, as I hope to have a fully articulated neck with pan/tilt/roll finished by the end of the year, but in the meantime it works.  I drove with Artie's upper half in the back of my truck this weekend, and it even held up going down the freeway at 70mph.  My plan is to get a more flexible dryer hose that I can use to cover the inner workings.

In this photo, I mocked out what he will look like with his new base.  It's not attached, but I set the height of the lift to the level I like and placed his upper body on top.  What's nice is that there is 8" I can lower the body, so if I'm at a public event with children I can lower him to be more on eye level with them and less intimidating.  For now I'm just going to adjust the height manually pre-show, but eventually I will tie into the motor in my motor control box and tie it to some buttons on my Xbox controller.  For the immediate future, however, I'm working on getting his differential steering to work.  What's nice though is after I design his new motor control unit, since it is laser-cut, modifying it and re-assembling will be relatively easy.  I could take the extra time to design it out now, but I want to get him back up and moving around as quickly as possible so I stay motivated.

jinx

• calling from free Europe
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »
ello,
so what kind of a neck got any cad  of it? is it based around the use of some mega servo or are going to  do a  diy gear set?
 curious what you using for motor control, looking for to seeing more luke
I build bots

lukeyes2

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 04:43:28 PM »
I do have SVGs of the current neck, but there is no articulation.

My design for the new neck uses 3 servos and a U-joint.

For the pan, I'm using one of these.

http://www.vantec.com/acatalog/ssps105.htm

yes, that's 27 ft-lbs of torque!  I got it for a fraction of the price from a Johnny 5 Replica builder.

For the tilt and yaw, I'm going to use two high-torque servos.  I'm going to base it on the design of Chris the Carpenter's bot "Walter" from back in the LMR days.  I'm planning to use two of these

https://www.servocity.com/hs-645mg-servo#258=24&259=25

The whole thing will sit on a 6" Lazy Susan turntable.  Here's some video of a prototype I was working on that used a dc motor/potentiometer combo to work as my own servo.  This was before I got the Tone SSPS servo

Before I do too much work on the neck articulation though, I'm trying to rethink my head construction.  I'm going to investigate ways I can make the head lighter through a combination of removing unnecessary structural support, and using lighter materials like acrylic and fiberglass.  The lighter the head, the less torque the servos will need to move it around.

I'll be posting SVGs and CorelDraw files (cdrs) for laser-cut designs up in my github.

https://github.com/lukeyes

There's nothing up there currently for Artie, but I'll update this thread when that changes.

jinx

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 04:51:08 PM »
what a wee beastie  that vantec  love to see some vid of that in action  ".9 sec > 90 degrees no load" needs vid!.

funny you mention J5 while  I was looking at artie was thinking of those suspension jonny had under his head for some stability and take of the strain on the servo joints while moving,

you got a 3d printer luke , you could get funky  with design and get the weight off?. i throw in a couple of sundays cad work in sketchup if that stands in the way. even print it for you if you cant find someone state side..
I build bots

lukeyes2

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »
hrmm, interesting...you use sketchup to make 3d printer files?  Is there a plugin that will convert sketchup to stl?

I do have a 3D printer, but my workshop has no ventilation so I'm trying to figure out a way to build an enclosed box and expel the fumes through an attachment on the screen portion of my door.  ABS gets pretty nasty in an enclosed area., and PLA just doesn't hold up to the Texas heat. Of course, I've been procrastinating on this idea for years now (sadly).  I probably should just get trained up on the 3D printer at Techshop (a toolshare I'm a member of) so that I can just print stuff out there in the meantime.  But since I havent' been developing any custom designs, and my printbed is pretty small (6"x6") the priority of fixing up the 3D printer keeps getting put aside.  That and I'm not a fan of the Prusa i3 build.  I really want to convert it to a Mendel90.

I'll definitely think about taking you up on your offer though.  And I'll try to get some video up of that servo.  Sadly, my weekend is already slated for some home improvement projects on my house.

lukeyes2

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »
Also, as far as the suspension of the J5 head, I'm going to do something similiar but a bit different.  J5 used linear actuators, but those are a bit more expensive than using a similar mechanism with servos.  My design is going to eventually look a lot like this video.

jinx

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 05:37:28 PM »
love that vid, i need to go find more  thats the mechanism I been dreaming off seeing on inmoov that is  thanks for the link
I build bots

lukeyes2

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »
Wow, the year flew by.  Haven't had much time to work on Artie this year.  But, little by little, making progress.

Here's an overdue update.

Made the power distribution and motor control boxes for the new base.

Attached them as images.

I probably should make a circuit diagram, but in a nutshell the power distribution box takes two 12V inputs via XT60 connectors as input, wires them in series and generates a 24V output.  It uses a relay connected to a lighted toggle switch to turn on/off the power, and has a voltmeter display to monitor the status of the battery.  There is also an 80A fuse (which proved useful already) to keep the whole thing going up in an impressive display of fireworks and magic smoke.

The motor control box is pretty cool as well.  Houses an Arduino MegaADK which connects to a USB extension panel output that the XBox 360 wireless receiver plugs into, but now it's versatile and I can connect it to any USB peripheral.  The MegaADK drives the Sabretooth 2x32.  I've also attached a USB port so that I can reprogram the ADK on the fly instead of having to tear the box apart to reprogram it.  It also connects to the motors via labeled XT60 connectors so everything plugs/unplugs much more easily.

I have to redo the faces of the power distribution box and motor control boxes to provide connections for the e-stop switch.  I'm going to put a small buck converter in the power distribution box to provide a 5V signal that goes into the E-Stop and then have a connector on the motor control box to connect to the e-stop switch input on the sabretooth.  Safety first, as I find more and more with these big robots.

If anyone is interested more on the details of the specs and laser cutter files for the box, let me know.

lukeyes2

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 03:32:43 PM »
Here's some video in action of Artie driving around with his new motor system.

The top half is just sitting on the base in this video.  I actually did some work last night to prepare for attaching the two halves together tonight.  I want to drive Artie around to entertain the trick or treaters.  If I had some more time I'd build a front panel to dispense the candy.  Hopefully next year.

Also did a shout out to my in-laws.  They sent me some Amazon gift cards that I used to buy some of the parts needed to get him up and running, like the fuse holder and relays.

jinx

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 08:14:02 AM »
thats a power house of a base, looking good. which motor drivers you using
I build bots

Bajdi

• B
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »
Always cool to see such a large robot. That's a nice solid base you have there.

lukeyes2

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 10:47:29 AM »
Jinx - I'm using a Dimension Engineering Sabretooth 2x32 to drive the base.  Really great motor controller that is very easy to work with.  I highly recommend it.

lukeyes2

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 06:29:44 PM »

So - FINALLY got a computer brain on the robot.  Right now it just marshals joystick input to the drive base, but this is a baby step towards autonomy.

My next step (as I mention in the video), is to remove the tether so I can drive him around wirelessly.

Then I plan to build a power distribution box to funnel the power input from two 12V 12ah batteries to the electronics including a 12V cigarette adapter for the laptop, powered usb hub, stereo amplifier, etc.

Then it will be time to start building the sensor panels!  I currently have 8 SR04s, a Realsense camera, GPS module, 6 axis accelerometer, and infrared distance sensors.  Also, I have some encoders to put odometry on the wheels.

I'm hoping to have some sort of autonomous motion, with the xbox controller being the kill-switch and override, by this time in 2018.

Wish me luck!

* Search

* Recent Topics

Just scary to me... by jinx
[November 16, 2017, 03:05:30 AM]

"Artie" version 3.0 (RTV3) by jinx
[November 14, 2017, 03:11:04 AM]

Anycubic Kossel (pulley) by Bajdi
[November 13, 2017, 04:48:04 PM]

grbl-LPC by jinx
[November 12, 2017, 02:48:46 PM]

mks ftf2.4 simple bezel by jinx