collapse

Welcome!

Welcome to Robot Rebels, an online robot maker community.

Register today to post your projects, ask questions, share knowledge and meet like-minded people from around the world.

The RobotRebel.org Community

Author Topic: Third 3D printer recommentation  (Read 272 times)

Deity

• Deity
Third 3D printer recommentation
« on: September 12, 2017, 06:24:20 PM »
Well I just took a look at lad's post, my query is similar but my requirements are somewhat different, so rather than hijack that thread I created this new one!

For the past couple of years, I have NOT been following the 3D printing developments very closely...
My two 3D printers (the fabled makibox and the smartrap) lay abandoned very far far away (but they were working nicely -- or as nice as they could when I boxed them away)...

But recently the 3D printing bug started nibbling at my heels again... and so, I thought I just might get a new one, instead of unearthing any of my previous ones.

Now, since you unbelievers dally in building me a proper temple and pay due tribute, I am aiming for cheap, really cheap one -- below the 200 quids mark!
But 'lo and behold I was perusing through my new best ''parcel generator' site -- gearbest -- and found that there really are a bunch of them below that price tag.

I know, I know I get what I pay for, but I am not intending to do prints all the time, I just need to chase away the bug nipping at my heels.

@Bajdi I don't feel like sourcing my components, so I rather have a kit that works ok-ish, doesn't and that can be improved mostly by the printer printing parts for itself :p

I'm not even looking forward printing with exotic materials or anything, good ol' PLA will be fine. Also, right now since all my previous tools are virtually gone it needs to be something I can assemble without much fuss.

So here's a few candidates for you to say your piece @jinxy, yeah I expect they are all bad and deplorable (how many do you have now? :p)

Edit: I went on the tubes and looked at a few more reviews for the specific models below, and therefore I adjusted my post accordingly.

> Tevo Tarantula
https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_628790.html

for the price seems to be a very nice piece of piece of kit, the heated bed seems to perform really well, and one can print just a few upgrade parts to make it quite nicer.
Personal downside: the exposed psu and dangling lcd controler is not a good thing for where I would have to keep it... I would probably need to replace that or make if safer and contained.

> Anycubic kossel
https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_640022.html

Also saw a nice video review of this printer, no heated bed by default but upgradeable (should be ok without it since I'll probably stick with PLA). The plus is that if I choose this one I get to play around with a delta, which I never had. Also since the psu is a simple brick I wont have concerns regarding where I will have to keep it.
Can you remind me of the downsides of a delta other than probably more time handling calibration and whatnot?

I intend to print mostly "artistic" kind of stuff... some maybe this (or other similarly price delta proven better) would be the way to go, no? I think I'm leaning more to the kossel, but then my maker bug seems to be nipping at the other heel and... well

At the time I was looking, both of them costed the same just under 140 quids (prices oscillate at gearbest).

Any further thoughts, suggestions, different recommendations?

Also, I like I would like to possibly buy whatever printer I choose through gearbest (unless an irresistible deal presents itself elsewhere), because so far my shopping experience there has been quite good!

P.S. I also came across a couple of reviews lauding the CR-10, and it did seem quite sturdy and is possible good bang for the buck, alas it's beyond what I would like to spend!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:23:58 PM by Deity »

jinx

• calling from free Europe
Re: Third 3D printer recommentation
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 02:52:50 AM »
     been reading lots of bad thing " piss poor service lately" with gearbest and Tevo solong as you like facebook you be fine "you have to sign into the facebook group to get the latest firmware for there machines".
how about this big ass of ali E https://tinyurl.com/y6u843hb same as mogul he having some success with it though a little bit over that $200 budget.
I build bots

Deity

• Deity
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 04:31:11 AM »
Well as far as gearbest goes, I haven't bought that much stuff there but I did buy stuff more expensive than what I am aiming for to spend for another 3D printer and was happy with the items and the whole process. Granted so far I did not have to return or make use of warranty or anything like that, but if I did that would be quite bothersome for a printer and any CN based company I guess, so back on topic I really just wanted to know about the printers.

So, I'm not to fond of facebook but if I really had I guess I could create an account or something. Other than that yes, from what I have seen it might be one of the best values at that price point, and the maker in me would should that one if I had no further restrictions.

One of them being, not a lot of space (perhaps I didn't make that initially clear), so while your recommendation is actually tempting it would mean even a greater footprint, not to speak that it actually goes above my first criteria (price). So 'big ass', in my current situation (c'mon get me my temple already) is not a good thing, hence making the kossel's 'little ass' (about half the footprint of your 'big ass' recommendation) more appealing.

Therefore, my question for you jinxy is, how many printers are you at now... and is one of them a delta, or have you ever assembled/fumbled with deltas personally? And if so, would you heavily NOT recommend one for some particular reason?

jinx

• calling from free Europe
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:23:50 AM »
mini kossel http://www.robotrebels.org/index.php?topic=498.0  a great intro to delta's but personally its more for arty objects than engineering parts " due to deltas loosing accuracy over its radius"  great to watch and happily sits in a corner. BUT looking over gearbest https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_459985.html like the look of that thou 150x150  aint sure about :-\ not that bad...    if space is tight https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_657511.html thou that looks a little tinny! but grab one of those i3  for £120 then head over to Ebay for a steal frame https://tinyurl.com/ybb7x33c and still in budget  grab the titan extruder of Ali
I build bots

Deity

• Deity
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »
Well, in that case I should be fine, because as I stated other than a few printer self improvements I'm probably intending to print mostly "artsy" stuff and will not require that much structural
resistance from my printed stuff.

Buying a cheap i3 plus a separate set of parts to upgrade it looks to fussy, and my shortage of space to keep a printer is also a small space where I can do assemblies and whatnots.

The A3 kind of reminds me my dearest maki, but yes I did consider it, being that it's self-contained, already assembled and with a small footprint similar to the delta.
Not sure about the print area 150x150 mm, but I even if within budget I would be paying more than my other considered options, and even if I don't have the proper
space for a lot of mechanical shenanigans I still have a little... and I guess I actually miss it as well, I just need to curve my enthusiasm and not embark in some project
that is beyond what I can currently support (lack of space also means I cant have many tools)

I guess the Zonestar comes from the fact it has a metal frame, which would in theory at least make it more stable. I quickly gone through a couple of reviews I found on the webs,
and it seems to be ok, but still would need quite a few mods, and it seems that the tarantula would be preferable to that one (still from my perspective the major downside of the tarantula is the "dangling psu")

Money itself (within reason) is not the (major) issue, so it's more like money's worth... and that not just bang-for-buck but also my intended use, and if I am right I may spend actually more time post-processing parts ("artsy" post-processing) than actually printing.

printer sizes vs print volumes:

A3: 31.50 x 33.30 x 37.50 cm vs 15 x 15 x 15 cm
Anycubic: 31.50 x 31.50 x 68.00 cm vs 18 x 18 x 32 cm
Zonestar i3: 46 x 42 x 42 cm vs 22 x 22 x 24 cm
Tarantula: 43 x 43 x 40 cm vs 20 x 20 x 20 cm

Current prices:

A3: ~£175
Zonestar i3: ~£155
Anycubic kossel: ~£140
Tarantula: ~£140

So, the cheap bastard in me is still screaming for me to pick one of the cheapest, and the "artsy" bastard is leaning for the kossel. Your recommendations seem to point away from the kossel, but by saying that its best for "artsy" stuff you're just feeding my "artsy" bastard, and it's an hungry bastard... 'cause you know living of art is hard living :x Also I think that my "I-want-something-different" bastard wants a delta as well!

So, I guess that even if I don't like the delta it's not that big of a loss and I at least get to toy around with it!

I do appreciate your input, and if I was not constrained by space I would go for a cartesian one within your recommendations (in addition to a delta as well, because... gotta have them all)

tinhead

• t
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 01:46:57 AM »
Did you have a look at monoprice.com printers? Hackaday seems to like them...

Deity

• Deity
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 06:43:00 AM »
I went with the Anycubic kossel, which after further discounts costed me about ~USD$170/£130/€145

Thanks

Now let hope shipping doesn't take forever and that it's within my expectations!

* Search

* Recent Topics

Just scary to me... by jinx
[November 16, 2017, 03:05:30 AM]

"Artie" version 3.0 (RTV3) by jinx
[November 14, 2017, 03:11:04 AM]

Anycubic Kossel (pulley) by Bajdi
[November 13, 2017, 04:48:04 PM]

grbl-LPC by jinx
[November 12, 2017, 02:48:46 PM]

mks ftf2.4 simple bezel by jinx
[November 11, 2017, 04:18:13 PM]