collapse

Welcome!

Welcome to Robot Rebels, an online robot maker community.

Register today to post your projects, ask questions, share knowledge and meet like-minded people from around the world.

The RobotRebel.org Community

Author Topic: AGM  (Read 691 times)

jinx

• calling from free Europe
AGM
« on: August 02, 2017, 04:04:54 AM »
       Is it not time we had an AGM meeting!!!. for those that some how dont know what AGM is.
     "An annual general meeting (commonly abbreviated as AGM, also known as the annual meeting) is a meeting of the general membership of an organization"
    its a chance for all members new and old to have your say and I have
no clue whats so ever what an RR agenda  would look like.
     but please add to the comment section for me
    AGENDA:
     bring beer
     bring robot
  Discussions:
     moderators               "opportunity for a moderator in each section pick which you 
                                     like                                                                                                                               
     An honour presidents "every organising has its lead, why cant we have our fun!
                                      nominate a rebel president each year.  if trump can be
                                      president one of us can be :P.
     fundraising               " how are things
     site development       " our we ready for more! to be a web full blown site.

end beer!.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:12:08 AM by jinx »
I build bots

Smashley

Re: AGM
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »
Sounds like a good idea jinx! I'll refrain from nominating myself or anyone else lest the ruskies get involved.

ossipee

• o
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 03:13:14 PM »
Let me know when I'll bring a pizza

mogul

• Hot glue gunslinger
  • This is a good day!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 03:10:35 AM »
Beer and pizza, whats not to like with the proposed AGM?

MEgg

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »
Aaarggh. Cannot participate in hiking boots :-)
1st project: Dagu 5 Rover + Dagu - 4 Channel DC Motor + Red Back Spider robot controller + Raspberry B+
Chassis + wheels: https://picload.org/image/dggroior/20150831_028.jpg
current: https://www.keepandshare.com/userpics/m/a/r/k/usegg/2016-04/sb/img_3480-79682018.jpg

jinx

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
 "hiking boots"
   attending in my slippers!
   we either use  G+ or here with the reply's when we do it, "saving for the wiskey", we need to decided the agenda and we need to see some willingness towards moderation of sections.

agenda
date
beer
AGM 
"only open for one evening hoping yahmez can close the comment section. Anyone will has/have their chance to add, those that come late "DAYS" can save it for next year!. it really should be held on our anniversary and fun. 
I build bots

1 what

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 07:42:06 AM »
An AGM...  :) ....   I love it.
A new idea to energise the site.
Unfortunately its a long swim from Australia but if it comes off I'll be with you in spirit.
It seems to me that one fundamental question is: What is the secret ingredient that breathes "life" into a website?
In one previous incarnation it was a certain irreverence  combined with a tolerance of "newbies" who seemed genuine plus scorn for those who didn't or for those who simply wanted a free ride.
The combination of wise older members plus keen young guns had a warm feel about it not to mention a vast wealth of knowledge to be shared.
There was no commercial imperative.... It was all about the "making".
The inevitable emergence if Identities (and Egos) added cream to the cake.
I know we can't recreate the past (someone once said "you can't put the bubbles back into champagne") but it would be nice to evolve to a viable future.
While I think "Robot Rebels" acknowledges our origins I don't know how well it describes our present manifestation with few "robot" posts and most of the chat (shout box) being about 3D printing.
Has advancing technology made the concept of building autonomous robots "old school" and the traditional content of the site now the stuff of STEM courses for primary school children?
Have commercial "Robot Kit" sellers devalued the immense satisfaction of designing, building and programming a basic robot?
I really don't know, but if anyone is interested in continuing the conversation I'm "all ears" since I have an attachment to this site and the intellectual contribution it (and its "predecessor") have made to my life.

MEgg

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »
I see the 3D printing as a way to make those robot parts that are not readymade  and shopable. Imho it is a branch for robotics like electronics, CNC, programming, mathematics and so on. If I only would have more time...
1st project: Dagu 5 Rover + Dagu - 4 Channel DC Motor + Red Back Spider robot controller + Raspberry B+
Chassis + wheels: https://picload.org/image/dggroior/20150831_028.jpg
current: https://www.keepandshare.com/userpics/m/a/r/k/usegg/2016-04/sb/img_3480-79682018.jpg

1 what

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 04:57:55 PM »
Hi MEgg,
I totally agree re printing being a way to make novel parts and would not like you or anyone else to think I was devaluing it or suggesting it didn't belong here.

ossipee

• o
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 06:47:10 PM »
Please take a look at my first bot idea let's make it simpler, or easier for new peeps to do, and keep it cheap as we can, the lmr bot was my first venture into bot building and programming, it cost $100, I could afford that lots of people couldn't a cheap $25 bot with some support could open programming and not building up to thousands, just not sure how we do it. Much like lmr did we need to bring in new people and watch and encourage them to grow and share. My 2 cents.

ossipee

• o
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 07:10:01 PM »
I'm not sure we have enough members to do really good contest's, but I could see some solve this code problem, or this robotics problem with a prize as another way to increase interest, I'm not sure how our financial situation is but lots of robotics stuff is cheap if we needed a fundraiser for this I'm in. Fritz had a real talent for keeping stuff interesting I think we're all very talented :) we just need to use it, so what I'm saying is let's build a better playground.

jinx

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 05:30:58 AM »
 Megg sums up the 3DP rather well with
       "I see the 3D printing as a way to make those robot parts that are not readymade and shopable. Imho it is a branch for robotics like electronics, CNC, programming, mathematics and so on"
   which has become one of the most affordable tool we can make too create, but once it gets a grip of you, you doing more than just robotics with it.

WHAT "Have commercial "Robot Kit" sellers devalued the immense satisfaction of designing, building and programming a basic robot?"
   Na they just pushed up the introduction costs, in my opinion they create minions without the knowledge how they're got there. "like starting at A jumping to D without b or C.  "which one finds a path with the least routes of enjoyment. thou hobby commercial bots will have there place with folks with little time to build. thou if they like it they most likely build they're next! they will if spend time with us :P

OSS
   "I could afford that lots of people couldn't a cheap $25 bot with some support could open programming and not building up to thousands",
 never given up on that £20 bot and it is more possible to do now than ever before with parts from Ali or ebay.

as for competitions either we go in search of a sponsor  for goodies or we do it for the comradery. even join in those extrernal comps!. but what funds we have it should be kept for the up keep of the site which brings me to affordability it seems to me we could afford to live here in this forum style forever, where as full blown web site and maintenance would eat up our funds.....
door bell 

I build bots

1 what

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 06:59:36 PM »
Hi jinx,
Firstly I want to apologise as I seemed to have hijacked your AGM post. That was not my intent.

I nominated some topics that might have been included for discussion at an AGM but didn’t spell it out that way and they seem to have developed a life of their own.

Almost as though we’ve started discussion on one of the AGM topics before agreeing on an an AGM or an agenda.

I’ve some thoughts on a couple of possibilities you raised in your last post but would firstly like to seek guidance from you re the appropriateness of doing it in this post.

The other option is that I nominate you to sling together an agenda of topics for discussion and we try to encourage Members to comment on them in some orderly way. Kind of like "herding (robotic) cats".

What do you think?

ossipee

• o
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 07:19:51 PM »
Let's talk about all of it, I think it would be best if all ideas were out there for discussion, any suggestions should be considered and discussed I'm wide open. I'm no Fritz I can't convey that magnetism. I am of course incredibly talented  person :)

jinx

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 03:12:15 AM »
1 what
"Firstly I want to apologise as I seemed to have hijacked your AGM post. That was not my intent."
 no apology needed you raising some good points.

"Almost as though we’ve started discussion on one of the AGM topics before agreeing on an an AGM or an agenda."
       lol thought that myself but its the normal for us, as we flow with things, we'll have our AGM without knowing we had it :P

with Oss 
"Let's talk about all of it, I think it would be best if all ideas were out there for discussion, any suggestions should be considered and discussed I'm wide open".
I build bots

* Search

* Recent Topics

Kossel Build by Deity
[October 20, 2017, 11:23:27 AM]

Drawdio by Yahmez
[October 18, 2017, 10:50:49 AM]

PI tray by jinx
[October 14, 2017, 07:19:30 AM]

24byj48 based delta robot - fail by mogul
[October 08, 2017, 02:24:55 AM]

My scope focuser upgrade by jscottb