collapse

Welcome!

Welcome to Robot Rebels, an online robot maker community.

Register today to post your projects, ask questions, share knowledge and meet like-minded people from around the world.

The RobotRebel.org Community

Author Topic: MKS Gen L 1.0  (Read 56127 times)

jinx

• calling from free Europe
MKS Gen L 1.0
« on: July 10, 2017, 03:25:59 AM »

mks gen L 1.0 is the latest  8 bit Mega board from Makerbase appeared on the market around April 2017 mks describes it as....

"Aiming at the problems exist on the open sourced controller board such as Ramps 1.4, the developers in Makerbase specially optimize and develop a new product, MKS Gen_L, which provides more flexible choices for users."

In short its an updated single board RAMPS which becomes more apparent once you compare the pinout  to the RAMPS  more compact than any board in the Gen series  yet still keeps all the functionality of it predecessors. Noticeable changes is the bed mosfet and the use of CH340 serial port chip rather than the ft232 "removes that threat of bricking  which we saw with FTDI few years back" and odds are you have the drivers already installed for this board the the ch34 common on the mega clones
Power either 12V or 24V
      "Use specific power chip, support 12V-24V power input, and resolve the problems of chip heating and power shortage". though they dont mention which!
                http://reprap.org/wiki/File:Arduinomega1-4connectors.png

what does appear missing  is the Recoverable fuse for short-circuit protection very least there no mention of one " damned if I know what it looks like! one hopes that task been moved to the power chip".  With a price tag off  £11.50 + postage £3 mks makes it a competitive alternative to the stacked ramps with a variation which include onboard DRV drivers for around £27, take out the 3D we left with a comprehensive ready made arduino motion board for the price of mega.
  size wise 110x84 mm its only the single row drivers that makes it slightly "20 mm or so" wider than the ramps.

With four mosfet tiny things compered to the ramps three are labelled HY1403 which are rated for 4.5 Amps  two for the dual hotends plus fan control there an additional 12 V out next to X axis which could be used for a V6 fan. nice feature to have for such a budget board.

The bed mosfet appears identical to the other 3 but  labelled as hy3403 which from what scrap of data I can find is rated at 100V 30A! mighty for a small black slab.  though with the low pricing of the gen L I opted to get external bed controller. rated for 280A peak with a steady 30A." not over kill at all!. each mosfet gets its own blinky.

I used both the onboard bed mosfet and the mks mos board, the onboard felt warm to the touch in the shorts test. slow going to heat the mk3 aluminum bed  to 90C.  think I will install the external bed board though. " keeping the high current of the main board"   
     Another feature which crossed over is the boards interface option for controllers, not only are the two headers for the full graphics, Aux1 remains dedicated for the mks touch screen 2.8 or 3.2 only the 2.8 compatible with RAMPS.

It's disgustingly simple to get to this stage  of testing the tft install your marlin declare the board as
Code: [Select]
  #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_MKS_BASE upload marlin to the board " which basically redirects marlin to the ramps pinout!".

pop over to mks github https://github.com/makerbase-mks/MKS-TFT/tree/master/Firmware   select TFT 28 32English2.0.1.zip
unzip it. Two option  red/blue" colour of the icons"> classic> three sub files appears move them to the sd card then attach the ribbon to aux1,insert card and power the Gen L board from 12V source  the tft boots up loads the files and that's all for the tft, never even had to declare in marlin or alter tft file though I will have too later for daul nozzle control.

drivers.
 A4988, DRV8825, TMC2100 and LV8729 no shortage of options with the drivers if they come in the pololu breakout style they're fit.

The screen printing on the board clearly labelled  and finding the ground as straight forward as turning it over and reading!. to be clear the gnd on the black side of the headers far right. the spacing between the headers has ample clearance to the next when compared to the RAMPS XYZ" almost forcing the devil in!. the other  that not marked are the endstops "  using those breakout boards for endstops keep the red line facing the drivers" refer to the pinout pic above
     In addition to the colour coordinating the axis to the endstop "feature from the mini" there are four pins on the green side those are for external driver signal, " may want a daul Z axis without using a splitter".

I like just about everything with this board its well made clean soldering it offers what an advance ramps would do without the need of adapters, layout nice for cooling the whole board and its price makes it affordable for any entry level.

so long Red Ramps:
              The Ramps a first generation reprap controller been around for 7 years  or so but development stagnated after 1.4 in part because of the propagation of the cheap Red boards from our eastern friends

Now am not saying RAMPS are bad  in fact I got four starting with 1.3  to 1.4 and there served me well over the years "Green board". But those red ones have a terrible safety record with beginners and the lore of low cost draws many! £13 quid all with drivers, but there shitty use of poor quality fets and crap traces  can leave you wanting!:P

Installation of the hotend and fans:

default setting, wiring  straight forward  thou I was expecting the fans to be wired the other way round! part cooler on D7.

( don't forget the thermistor )

first  printing test:

Adding Proxi:
         take notes makerbase!. always been vexed by a budget board with 6 endstops connection, I recently had a wicked time getting a LJ12A3-4-Z/BX  Proximity switch to work, it just wouldn't trigger a response.

" Note that the MKS Gen-L has fixed, 1K, pullup resistors on the "signal" lines for all of the endstop switches. Even if you disable pullups within Marlin, the resistors on the board will remain active unless you physically remove them. I removed pullup R3. This is for the Z-min endstop."
  thanks to Bobp

I have an idea for a budget board that supports both traditional mechanical switches and proximity is far more useful than 6 identical connection... Rather than removing the resistor from the  min axis... pop of the resistor on the max circuit for all axis, which leaves the user either option for future use. ( resistors easy enough to remove with a soldering iron just keep rubbing the resistor after about minute it come loose)
    On the firmware side of marlin rather than reconfiguring the homing motion in the config.h just swap the pin definition around for each axis,( Z min becomes 19 and so on)  in the pins_RAMPS.h   
Code: [Select]
// Limit Switches
//
#define X_MIN_PIN           3
#ifndef X_MAX_PIN
  #define X_MAX_PIN         2
#endif
#define Y_MIN_PIN          14
#define Y_MAX_PIN          15
#define Z_MIN_PIN          18
#define Z_MAX_PIN          19

links:
MKS Github
https://github.com/makerbase-mks board drivers are there.

http://reprap.org/wiki/ExtThermoCouple_1.0

ftdi debacle:
http://hackaday.com/2016/02/01/ftdi-drivers-break-fake-chips-again/

https://hackaday.io/project/18852-alternative-firmware-for-mks-tft32

32bit IDE
https://www.embitz.org/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 03:36:07 AM by jinx »
I build bots

Santiago

• Santiago
  • S
Re: MKS Gen L 1.0
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 02:45:03 AM »
Where to find good learning materials?

jinx

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:32:38 PM »
 ello Santiago welcome to RR,

"Where to find good learning materials?"
         for mks "makerbase"  a tricky one they dont do enough to push there stuff and folks that tend to do write up get brow beaten down from some circles/groups. we rebels are a tolerant bunch.
 the best learning to be found is get a board and tinker with it ask question when not sure, in general 3DP terms  the reprap forums best.

I build bots

huwmcgregor

• h
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 11:27:39 AM »
Thanks for the great post. Ive found it very useful in getting MKS set up on my Vellermann.

Im having a small issue with the servo connections. but will start another thread.

Thanks Again

Classictinker

• C
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 06:22:10 AM »
I wish I'd read this post earlier I've been struggling my my 1st 3d printer, a Chinese kit an Flsun i3 dual plus, and the build instructions told me to plug the extruder hotend fan into the 12v socket so I spent a few days trying to sort out the continuous heater fail messages. I then found a guide through Google that said to plug it into the fan socket which at least allowed me to control the fan via the touch screen (and turn it off) but in this post you say to use D7 so I'll give that a go and see how I get on.

I like the idea of an external bed heater driver but that will have to wait until later as I haven't even managed to successfully load in the filament yet :(

Thanks for your helpful post.

Rich

I'm back with an edit :)

Isn't D7 for a second extruder heater?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 07:35:46 AM by Classictinker »

cristi.istrate

• c
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 07:48:59 AM »
How is this board handling salmon skin issue ? Can I use 8 diodes trick to smooth this issue ?
Thank you.

jinx

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 08:41:28 AM »
How is this board handling salmon skin issue
never noticed an issue with ringing , but I use the pololu a4988 black edition with this board
I build bots

grayknight235

• g
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 03:25:55 PM »
Hope you guys can help me out here. I'm trying to get my MKS Gen L 1.0 up and running on my Prusa i3 3D printer. The information provided so far has helped, but I've also found other tidbits, but for some reason, I can't get the board to so much as get the motors to twitch.

Here's my setup:
Prusa i3: 5 motors (1 extruder, 1 x axis, 1 y axis, 2 z axis) 3 switches (x min, y max, z min) for homing, two thermistors (1 bed, 1 extruder, both 100 kohm) two heaters (extruder and bed plate), glass topped bed plate. Power is tronxy S-250-12 (set at 110 V input, 12V 20A output)
Motherboard is the MKS Gen L 1.0 with the TFT 28 touchscreen.

What I've done so far:
Downloaded latest Marlin. Altered the MOTHERBOARD to BOARD_MKS_GEN_L (I've also tried BOARD_MKS_BASE with no luck.)

TFT28 was updated as described above, though the link appears to be broken to me, I was able to obtain the same files from Makerbase.

All motors and sensors are connected. The only things not connected are the heaters, since I don't need things getting hot until I have the motors working.

I am getting power to the board from the power supply. (No magical blue smoke either.)

Altered Marlin firmware successfully uploads to board.

So knowing my luck, I'm probably missing something stupid.

upload2.jpg
*upload2.jpg (221.24 kB . 1500x1000 - viewed 31975 times)
WIN_20180414_15_17_21_Pro.jpg
*WIN_20180414_15_17_21_Pro.jpg (699.52 kB . 1632x918 - viewed 32405 times)

YES, I did turn it off and on again.

Bajdi

• B
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 03:59:13 PM »

You did plug in the stepper drivers? And plugged them in the right way? Can you show a pic with the drivers plugged in?

MEgg

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 07:47:32 AM »
Bajdi imho is right  - see the first page of this guidance from Jinx.

Also I've seen some dangling cables in your picture which I would pay attention to,
I marked them red in this picture:

1st project: Dagu 5 Rover + Dagu - 4 Channel DC Motor + Red Back Spider robot controller + Raspberry B+
Chassis + wheels: https://picload.org/image/dggroior/20150831_028.jpg
current: https://www.keepandshare.com/userpics/m/a/r/k/usegg/2016-04/sb/img_3480-79682018.jpg

grayknight235

• g
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 08:03:25 PM »

You did plug in the stepper drivers? And plugged them in the right way? Can you show a pic with the drivers plugged in?

Sorry I haven't gotten back online. Been a crazy busy week for me.

I have read the first page, top to bottom. I've gone over everything a dozen times, rewired it from scratch a dozen times. Followed the first page a dozen times. I'm missing something.

To be fair, I did forget the steppers. DOH! I have them plugged in now and still nothing. I did plug them in correctly. The board is labeled with which connection goes where. (Dir[board] - Direction[driver]) But now, when I run Repetier and connect, I'm getting weird feedback. Lots of "echo: Unknown command: " followed by garbage when Repetier tries to connect.

And the stepper drivers I'm using are A4899.

Bajdi imho is right  - see the first page of this guidance from Jinx.

Also I've seen some dangling cables in your picture which I would pay attention to,
I marked them red in this picture:

Those dangling wires are for the extruder hot end and the hot bed. Until I'm sure the software is working right, I do NOT want those hooked up.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:10:32 PM by grayknight235 »

jinx

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 02:13:52 AM »
hi,

Lots of "echo: Unknown command: " followed by garbage when Repetier tries to connect.
you got matching baudrate between repetier and the board?

then just a thought: disconnect the controller while using repetier,  sure they share the same IO lines as the USB connection  (could be something going odd there!) suggest you update the controller as well to use win8 tiles, it much more complete than the other red and blue styles.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:32:02 AM by jinx »
I build bots

grayknight235

• g
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 06:55:50 AM »
hi,

Lots of "echo: Unknown command: " followed by garbage when Repetier tries to connect.
you got matching baudrate between repetier and the board?

then just a thought: disconnect the controller while using repetier,  sure they share the same IO lines as the USB connection  (could be something going odd there!) suggest you update the controller as well to use win8 tiles, it much more complete than the other red and blue styles.

I thought the baud rates were the same. I've got Marlin set at 112500 and Repetier also set at 112500.

I'll check the connection this weekend. Got too much else going on today to do it. And I'll update the controller to the win8 tiles as you suggest.

KingBeetle

• K
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 01:26:03 AM »
I am considering purchasing an MKS Gen L 1.0 for use on a Prusa I3 MK2 "Dolly" clone I am (slowly) building.  I had originally settled on the MKS Gen V1.4 board, but I am on a real budget, and the Gen L 1.0 board is $6USD cheaper on AliExpress.  I can't see that there are any significant differences between the two boards, other than the Gen 1.4 board being a little larger and maybe not so "cramped" when it comes time to wire it up.

I have several questions:
Are there any major differences between the two? 
Any downsides to the board I am overlooking or that y'all might have encountered through use?

I plan to run the board at 24V with a 360W PSU and use an external MOSFET board for the bed heater.

I'm delighted to come across this forum with folks who are actually using the board - So much more meaningful than reading reviews.

jinx

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 02:55:30 AM »
Welcome to RobotRebels KingBeetle,
 am playing with the gen l nice little board  for a budget build, I cant  really complain about  the board although am not having much success so far with proximity switches... but apart from that  its still a good choice.

Are there any major differences between the two? 
             main differences I see are the mosfet for the bed is larger on the mks gen series and the glaring layout change,,, am not 100% here but I recall the mks gen uses a four layer circuit board and the gen L a two layer ... and thats about it for me 

Any downsides to the board I am overlooking or that y'all might have encountered through use?
apart from the proxi switches giving me attitude I dont see no downsides, if all you doing is a basic printer. (if you gonna tinker you could out grow the board sooner rather than later and if you are gonna tinker and add things like ABL, heat chamber diamond hotend etc then have a peek at the mks RUMBA, its bit out of budget but it be the last 8 bit you buy.  ;D

I plan to run the board at 24V with a 360W PSU and use an external MOSFET board for the bed heater.
good call on the external bed controller/mosfet I have no regrets using them. as for 24V think you be the first.
      most here are 12v so some of us be interested to see how that works out for you.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:10:17 AM by jinx »
I build bots

* Search

* Recent Topics

Web TIme API - by Gareth
[December 07, 2018, 04:34:37 PM]

API Directory by Gareth
[December 06, 2018, 03:34:16 PM]

The Original Prusa I3 Mk3 by tinhead
[November 30, 2018, 02:49:52 PM]

Email notifications by CraigCox
[November 28, 2018, 10:26:06 PM]